James Mordaunt and his family arrived in Guernsey some time before 1820. They were from the South Hams area of Devon - James was born in Dartmouth Townstal, his parents were married in Blackawton, and his children were baptised in Woodleigh. The reason they came to the island may have something to do with the fact that his elder sister married another butcher, Stephen Male, and settled in Guernsey in 1805.
Thomas Cole MORDAUNT (1749 - ?) married Elizabeth GOODRIDGE
- Thomas MORDAUNT (1769 - ?) m Grace Brown JELLARD
- Susanna Goodridge MORDAUNT (1772 - ?) m Jacques GUYOT
- Mary MORDAUNT (1774 - ?)
- Elizabeth MORDAUNT (1775 - 1806) m Stephen MALE
- Henrietta MORDAUNT (1776 - ?)
- James Cole MORDAUNT (1778 - 1847) m Agnes JELLARD
- William MORDAUNT (1810 - 1879) m Elizabeth Hill (1808 - ?)
- William Adolphus MORDAUNT
(1835 - 1877) m Louisa ? (1834 - ?)
- Emily MORDAUNT (1861 - ?)
- Florence MORDAUNT (1868 - ?)
- Osmond MORDAUNT (1870 - ?)
- James Cole MORDAUNT (1837 - 1837)
- Adelaide MORDAUNT (1839 - ?)
- Matilda MORDAUNT (1841 - 1845)
- Edward James MORDAUNT (1843 - ?)
- Emily MORDAUNT (1845 - 1846)
- William Adolphus MORDAUNT (1835 - 1877) m Louisa ? (1834 - ?)
- Osmond MORDAUNT (1779 - ?)
- William Goodridge MORDAUNT (1780 - ?)
- Frances MORDAUNT (1786 - ?)
(people in bold were butchers)
Earliest Mention in Guernsey
- In 1805, Elizabeth Mordaunt married Stephen MALE at the Town Church, St Peter Port.
- In 1820, James Mordaunt was among 33 Guernsey butchers who signed a petition to the Privy Council, urging them to approve the construction of the new market building.
- In 1826, James Mordaunt held stall 36
- In 1834, the Mordaunt family had their market stall withdrawn due to unpaid debts
- In 1857 & 1874, William Mordaunt held stall 5 in the Leadenhall Market
- Glategny Esplanade, St Peter Port (1841, 1851, 1861 Census)
- Rochford House, La Ramée, St Peter Port (1871 Census, 1874 Directory)
- Louisa Mordaunt, widow of William junior, and family living at the Bouet, St Peter Port (1881 Census)
- Osmond and Emily Mordaunt living in Mount Durand (1891 Census)
- Osmond living in Vauvert (1901 Census)
- During the 1860s, William & Louisa emigrated to Cincinatti, Ohio, where William worked as a Cigar Maker. They returned to Guernsey shortly after their first child, Emily, was born.
- Mordaunt Family History - Henry Mordaunt's Genealogy and Family History Resource site contains much more details on this and other branches of the Mordaunt family around the world.